- Make the bed. Growing up I never understood the benefit to making the bed as it would just get messed up again that same night! But, I’ve realized that a made bed is so nice to come home to after a long day, and it helps detract attention away from any other messes that might be around. Now I make sure to take a few seconds every morning to make the bed and Dylan has gotten into the habit of helping me spread out his comforter on his new big-boy bed too!
Do laundry every day. Before kids, we could get by with doing laundry once a week. Now with two little ones that are constantly making messes and getting dirty, the laundry piles up faster than ever! So that I’m not stuck doing 8 loads all on one day (and hating my life as I bury myself under a mountain of clothes), I’ve switched to doing at least one load a day. I toss a load into the washer in the morning, pop it into the dryer before lunchtime, and can do the folding come naptime or even have the kiddos “help” alongside me too. It makes for a well-stocked closet as well as a manageable workload!
- Never let dishes pile up. This is one that I have started doing only in the last year and it has made such a huge difference! We eat lots of meals at home (it was my resolution this year and it’s been one I’ve been able to keep!) and while I’m so glad that my kids are able to enjoy healthy home-cooked meals from yours truly, it does mean lots of clean up is always involved. I’ve found that if I can get the dishes loaded into the dishwasher right after meal time (gotta love dishwashing tablets that let you skip the pre-wash!), then I can keep the sink clear and the dishwasher is ready to go once it’s full. I’ll usually run once cycle during the day and another before I go to sleep at night. It’s so nice not to see a pile of dirty dishes in the sink and it helps me look forward to cooking so much more too!
- Keep a portable vacuum handy. With both a toddler and a baby, messes during mealtime are inevitable. And let’s not get started on the Play-Doh! It seems like there is always something on our floors so I’ve learned the best way to keep on top of the mess is to keep a vacuum readily available that is portable, lightweight, and easy to use (even single-handedly as I’m oftentimes holding Kennedy with my other hand!).
I’ve been using the Hoover Air Cordless Lift Vacuum, and it’s been nothing short of amazing. For starters, IT IS CORDLESS. Before I was always tripping myself up with the cord and having to worry about where to plug my vacuum into so that I could reach different areas of the house. It’s so much quicker when I can just turn on the vacuum and go!
- If it takes less than 5 minutes, do it now. If you remember only one tip from this post, let it be this one. Cleaning the bathroom counters, wiping down counters, scrubbing down the sink — if I notice that something needs to be done and it takes less than 5 minutes, I go ahead and do it right at that moment instead of leaving it to be done later. Procrastination and leaving cleaning to be done later is what always gets me in trouble so I’ve made it a point to “clean as I go”. It results in a cleaner home overall without me having to dedicate time that I don’t have to cleaning later!
I hope you find these tips helpful and that it’ll help you keep your house in tip-top shape during this busy time of the year!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
P.S. In case you missed it:
- Suede Vest – Suede is having a major moment right now and I’m all in! Styling one of this season’s most versatile pieces.
Leave a Reply