I’m a summer baby and am one of the few people I know who actually really love this season. From the longer days to the memories of enjoying chilled watermelon by the pool, I actually try to live up all that there is to enjoy during this time of year. Now that we’re nearing the hottest months of summer, I will say that my hair usually needs a little extra TLC. Sun, humidity, chlorine, and styling tools wreak havoc on this hair of mine and before I know it, I’m left with damaged hair that’s frizzy and full of flyaways.
The past few years, I’ve been more proactive about taking care of my hair (it’s gone through so much now with two pregnancies…), and I wanted to share how I fight the frizzy hair battles with a few easy tips so that you’re not left with hair that’s unmanageable!
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. No matter what your hair type, if you hair is dry then it will frizz. Hair that is dehydrated is porous and takes in the moisture from the humid air causing them to swell and kink. Not only do you want to make sure that you’re drinking plenty of water (your skin will thank you too!), but I also switch to a shampoo / conditioner that is infused with moisturizing ingredients. Garnier launched their new Whole Blends line of hair care targeting 6 different hair concerns and I couldn’t have been more excited to see a blend specializing in smoothing. I love that this blend is formulated with coconut oil and cocoa butter extracts to help tame and control frizz — plus the smell is absolutely amazing!
2. Use leave-in conditioner. About once every week, I douse my hair in a leave-in conditioner for extra moisture. Prevention is worth its weight in gold here — keeping your hair from drying out is so much easier than trying to repair it when the damage is already done. My hair is fine and easily weighed down by products, so I am always cautious about using products that are too heavy and result in my hair just looking greasy. Thankfully, the Garnier Whole Blends Smoothing Leave-In Conditioner is amazing and I love how smooth my hair looks afterwards!
3. Blow dry with ions. Lately I’ve been taking showers in the mornings and I’ve noticed such a difference whenever I air dry vs. use a blow dryer infused with ion technology. Air-dried, my hair ends up with lots of flyaways and looks a bit unruly by the end of the day. On the other hand, whenever I blast my blow dryer, my hair is noticeably shinier and smoother. Ionic blow dryers generate frizz-repelling negative ions and it’s worth it in the end to invest in a higher end tool. Also make sure to finish off your blowout with a cool shot as it will help seal the cuticle and get you that shine!
4. Smooth the cuticles. As a last styling step to ensure that my hair doesn’t turn into a frizzball the instant I step outside, I apply a serum at the ends of my hair once its dry. The silicone in hair oils coat the cuticles of the hair and protect it from damaging elements such as heat, pollution, and humidity. I spread a little of the Garnier Whole Blends Smoothing Oil and I love that my flyaways are kept under control and my hair just feels softer.
5. Use a silk pillowcase. And finally, I switched to using a 100% silk pillowcase almost a year ago and it’s made a huge difference in my hair whenever I wake up in the mornings. Because I like to curl my hair, before I bought a silk pillowcase I would end up sleeping on my curls and wake up to find a giant rat’s nest on my head! With a silk pillowcase, there have been days where I wake up and my curls look almost as good as they did the day before and I can skip re-styling! And plus, a silk pillowcase is just a nice little pampering treat to enjoy at the end of the day!
I hope you’ll try out these tips and rock your gorgeous hair frizz-free!
While I was compensated by POPSUGAR to write a post about Garnier all opinions are my own.