taken off Lahaina Harbor in Maui, Hawaii
It’s such a busy busy time of year right now, and we’re in the midst of figuring out our trips during the holiday season. Whether it’s to see friends and family or just going on a vacation getaway, traveling can be stressful. I’m an overpacker by nature and always end up taking way more than I need — a girl’s gotta have options though, right? There is one lesson I learned the hard way though and that is always making sure I travel safe with my jewelry. I still remember the time we went to Hawaii when I thought I had lost my wedding ring. I had placed it in the zippered pouch of my camera bag before we headed out for the beach and somehow it had fallen out when I went to go look for it. My heart dropped and I vividly remember that panicked feeling of not knowing what to do. Thankfully a few hours later the ring somehow showed up on the floor of our hotel room and I don’t think there was ever a moment I felt so relieved! Since then, I’ve made sure to take extra precaution when traveling with jewelry and wanted to share my top 5 tips!
1. Travel to see, not to be seen. When mingling with crowds of people, whether it’s at the airport or just at a tourist destination, keep your jewelry safe by keeping it discreet. Turn over the diamond on your finger so it looks like a simple band and doesn’t draw as much attention. Tuck the valuable necklace under your shirt. While I will be the first to admit that I love jewelry, I try to pack or wear as few pieces as possible and stick with the classics that will go with everything.
2. Store it properly. I picked up this jewelry case before I went on my last trip and it has been so comforting to have one place where I have all my jewelry safely organized and stored away. I can easily see all the pieces that I’m bringing with me. I’ve recently also started taking a picture of my jewelry before I leave just so I can have a visual inventory of everything. If a piece goes missing, I’ll know exactly which one to search for and have proof of ownership if it shows up in a public place.
3. Carry it on. Never put jewelry in checked bags as you never know what may happen to your bag. Instead, wear it or stow it in your carry-on bag.
4. Use the hotel room safe. The hotel room is the most common place jewelry is lost (and I can definitely attest to that as I’ve left many pieces behind accidentally!). Now, I always store my jewelry in the hotel room safe when I’m not wearing it. I don’t have to worry about my jewelry being accidentally misplaced while housekeeping is tidying up, and I know that the safe is securely locked.
5. Insure it. If you know that you’ll be traveling with valuable jewelry, choose to have it insured. Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company offers jewelry insurance that includes repair and even replacement coverage. They have been insuring jewelry for over 100 years and offer worldwide travel protection for all types of jewelry and watches. Coverage includes loss, theft, damage and mysterious disappearance (unexplained loss). No matter how careful you are with your jewelry, accidents happen when traveling. It’s best to make sure you’re covered!
No matter where you’re traveling, be sure to keep your jewelry safe! There’s no better feeling than the peace of mind knowing that you’re covered for even the worst scenario should anything happen. I hope you found these tips helpful and let me know where you’ll be traveling this holiday season!
Shop This Post:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.