- Splash park. Both my little ones looove the water and the local splash park is one of our favorite hangouts. And even if there’s not a splash park nearby, you’d be amazed at how much fun a water hose and sprinkler can be!
- Play hide-and-seek. A classic for a reason! While my 1-year old veers more towards a “peek-a-boo” version of this game, my 3-year old son loves getting creative with this one and finds the silliest hiding spots!
- Garden Box / Dirt Pit. If you have a little patio area, I would highly recommend creating a little garden box or dirt pit area for the kids to play in. I picked up a few kid-friendly gardening tools and the little ones love digging and scooping. I’m hoping to even plant a few little vegetables in a corner and have the little ones help take care of them!
- Swings. Both my kids are huge fans of hitting up our neighborhood park and the swings are always a big hit! Seriously both my 3-year old boy and 1-year old girl can swing for at least 30 minutes easily (and I can even get a mini arm workout in!). I love also telling stories with the little ones as they swing and some of our favorites are those that we make up as we go. My son loves dinosaurs and rocket ships right now so I’ll just start the story with one of those themes and just laugh as my son comes up with the craziest plot lines!
- Collect flowers / leaves / rocks. I love instilling an appreciation of nature in my kids and having them observe the details of the world around them. I oftentimes will have them collect different aspects of nature such as flowers, leaves, or rocks and we’ll go home and look through our findings. It’s like a little scavenger hunt and so much fun! In springtime, there’s no shortage of wildflowers and the little ones love seeing how many different kinds of flowers they can find. We’ll often go to an open field or park and each of the little ones will come home with a little bunch of blooms that we then place in vases around the house!
Color with sidewalk chalk. Both of the kiddos love coloring and there’s just something about coloring on the sidewalk that is infinitely more fun that just coloring on paper. My son is especially starting to get creative in his creations and I love seeing my baby girl start to develop her hand dexterity too!
- Wash the car. Might as well enlist the help of the kiddos in getting some work done! I dress up the kiddos in their swim gear and bring out the soap bucket. You may just be amazed at how much they enjoy doing “big people” work!
- Decorate a fir tree. We just recently started doing this as we have several trees in our backyard that resemble Christmas trees! Dylan and Kennedy both love picking various flowers, grasses, and sticks to decorate the tree with and it’s almost like reliving a bit of the magic of the holiday season year-round!
- Blowing dandelions. So much fun and we love watching the seeds float away!
- Go for a walk in a ride-on toy. And lastly, we have a couple ride-on toys that have been worth their weight in gold as the kids get super excited to ride in them and it’s a great way for me to get out of the house and go on a walk! Whether it’s in a stroller, buggy, or even a bicycle for the older ones, this is definitely a favorite of ours that we enjoy several times a week year-round!
Of course, playing outdoors isn’t the same if you can’t count on your diaper for keeping the messes contained! We’ve been using the Huggies Snug & Dry Ultra line for a few weeks now and I love that the quilted liner locks away wetness to keep my baby Kennedy happy and playing without the distraction of an uncomfortable diaper. The trusted Leak Lock System provides up to 12 hours of protection and has actually been a huge success for overnight too! The Huggies Snug & Dry is available exclusively at Walmart in the baby section. I picked up a 34-pack for just $7.97 and there’s even a $2.00 coupon now you can click and print now!
Here’s a useful printable list — be sure to pin this to reference later!
P.S. In case you missed it:
- Office Jumpsuit – Athleisure that can even be dressed up for the office!
Leave a Reply