Can you believe Thanksgiving is already around the corner? Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year and even though it’ll be a small gathering for us this year, I am definitely looking forward to a little down time (I saved time grocery shopping with my Walmart+ membership!) and of course, all the food!! Desserts are always my favorite part so I’m excited to share one of my favorite recipes that is incredibly easy and a guaranteed crowd pleaser: cranberry orange quick bread. No yeast or fancy baking skills are needed, and the bread always turns out moist, flavorful, and perfect for entertaining!
When the pandemic hit, one of our favorite things to do together was bake bread! I think we’ve made banana bread no less than 2 dozen times but now that the holidays are here, I’ve transitioned our banana bread routine to cranberry orange bread — my kids had forgotten how much they loved this recipe from years’ past and declared it the best bread ever when I made it just the other day!
The secret to this mouthwatering bread is definitely the cinnamon streusel topping as it provides a crispy, sweet crunch that balances perfectly with the subtly tart yet soft bread. Fresh cranberries combine with orange zest to provide that zing of flavor. Our first batch of cranberry orange bread didn’t last more than 12 hours, so be warned that everyone will likely be asking for seconds!
The ingredients are actually super simple, and I was able to order everything I needed thanks to Walmart+. I was surprised to see that Walmart even had the more specialty items on my list such as gluten-free baking flour (Dylan has a slight gluten allergy), coconut sugar, and organic produce. Seriously, I had no reason to shop anywhere else, especially when it was all delivered for free to my door!
I’ve had my Walmart+ membership for a few months now and I can honestly say that it’s been a lifesaver on so many occasions when I’ve needed last-minute groceries. I get the same everyday low prices that I love from shopping at Walmart with the added benefit of FREE delivery (only $35 minimum, restrictions apply)! The Walmart+ membership literally pays for itself after two deliveries each month (based on the $7.95 delivery fee) and you cannot beat the convenience of being able to buy everything from groceries to last-minute gifts!
At only $12.95/month or $98/year, having the Walmart+ membership gives me so much time back in my day. Plus, it’s one less thing to stress about after I’ve already spent the majority of the day juggling work and kids! These days I just keep a running grocery list on the Walmart app on my phone and click checkout whenever I’m ready. It could not be any easier — I get to enjoy spending less time in stores and more time with my family!
I broke down the recipe below and even though the list looks long, it’s actually quite simple once you try it. And of course, the bread is 100% worth it!
Cranberry Orange Quick Bread Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or 1-1 gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar brown or coconut sugar also ok
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoon unsalted butter must be cold
- 2 cup all-purpose flour or 1-1 gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown or coconut sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 1/3 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup cranberries fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a non-stick Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a non-stick 9 x 5 bread loaf.
Make the streusel
- Whisk the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or a fork until mixture resembles pea-size crumbs.
- Be sure to keep the streusel cold so that it doesn't later melt into the bread (chill in fridge if needed!).
Make the bread
- Have 2 bowls -- one for dry ingredients, one for wet.
- In the dry bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In the wet bowl, whisk the egg, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until combined. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then whisk to completely combine. Avoid over-mixing.
- Fold in the cranberries and nuts (if using).
- Pour the batter into bread loaf pan. Top evenly with streusel crumbles, evenly covering the bread.
- Bake the bread for 45 minutes to 1 hour (mine takes exactly 50 minutes), until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
pin for later!
Enjoy and let me know if you try the recipe!
Do you have a quick bread recipe that you love making? Let me know in a comment below!
Shop This Post